As an artist, I look for the unseen patterns and hidden narratives that reveal the magnificence in all things. Robert Henri said, "Paint the spirit of the bird rather than its feathers." There is a still point in every moment and to capture this essential luminescence is to acknowledge the ancient wisdom in all things. I make use of archetypes from the cultural and mystical history that connects all humans and all life forms. Joseph Campbell said that artists are the shamans of our time. I believe that we have the ability as well as the obligation to find and share truth and offer direction to the greater community. It is with this inspiration that I delve into the riches of the collective unconscious and the imagery and symbolism of my dreams to draw out something bigger than myself to share with the world.
I was born and raised in Utah's wild red desert, but have had the great fortune to call many amazing places around the world my home. A graduate of the Rhode Island School of Design, I am as comfortable painting large oils as I am illustrating children’s books. In 2007, I won an International Creativity award in the category of commercial illustration for “The Peaceful Warrior.” My first children’s book, “The Illuminated Desert,” written by Terry Tempest Williams and published by the Canyonlands Natural History Association in 2008, won The Mountains and Plains Bookseller’s Award for Best Children’s Book.
CURRENT GALLERY REPRESENTATION:
- Walker Fine Art in Denver, Colorado
- gallery43 in Roswell, Georgia
- Gallery Vibe in Naples, Florida
EXHIBITIONS 2008 TO THE PRESENT:
- THE OTHER ART FAIR, BROOKLYN, NY, NOVEMBER 2017
- MCNICHOLS PROJECT WITH WALKER FINE ART, DENVER, MARCH 2017
- "RUBBERSTAMP ART PROJECTS GROUP SHOW" RED DOT MIAMI, DECEMBER 2016
- "SIMPLIFYING THE ESSENTIALS" GROUP SHOW AT WALKER FINE ART, JULY 2016
- "CROSS POLLINATE" SHOW AT WALKER FINE ART AUGUST 2013
- GROUP SHOW AT WALKER FINE ART JULY 2012
- “AWAKENING” GROUP SHOW AT THE MARK GALLERY - ENGLEWOOD, NJ FEBRUARY 2012
- “NEW WORK” SOLO SHOW AT THE OVERLOOK GALLERY - MOAB, UT OCTOBER 2011
- “NEW WORK” SOLO SHOW AT THE OVERLOOK GALLERY - MOAB, UT NOVEMBER 2010
- “EARTH AND ETHER” SHOW AT THE OVERLOOK GALLERY - MOAB, UT SEPTEMBER 2009
- “WILD ABOUT CHILDREN’S BOOKS: WILDLIFE ART FOR KIDS” AT KOLB STUDIO - GRAND CANYON, AZ APRIL 2009
- GROUP SHOW AT THE SEEDCORN GALLERY – BERKELEY, CA AUGUST 2008
- RISD NOCAL JURIED “ONE NIGHT STAND” AT THE MINA DRESDEN GALLERY - SAN FRANCISCO, CA JULY 2008
- SOLO SHOW AT CALDECOTT GALLERY - OAKLAND, CA AUGUST 2008
- “THE ILLUMINATED DESERT” - CHILDREN’S ABC BOOK CONTAINING EXTENSIVE, PAGE-BY-PAGE ILLUSTRATIONS, WRITTEN BY TERRY TEMPEST WILLIAMS, PUBLISHED BY THE CANYONLANDS NATURAL HISTORY ASSOCIATION IN 2008.
HONORS AND AWARDS:
- ARTIST IN RESIDENCE AT THE SUMMIT SERIES 2014
- MOUNTAINS AND PLAINS BOOKSELLER’S AWARD FOR BEST CHILDREN’S BOOK OF 2009 (THE ILLUMINATED DESERT)
- ARTWORK SELECTED FOR THE JURIED SOCIETY OF ILLUSTRATORS SHOW AT NUCLEUS GALLERY IN LOS ANGELES IN MARCH 2009
- INTERNATIONAL CREATIVITY AWARD IN THE CATEGORY OF COMMERCIAL ILLUSTRATION FOR “THE PEACEFUL WARRIOR” 2007
- FORMER FIRST LADY LAURA BUSH HELPED CELEBRATE THE RENOVATION AND REDEDICATION OF THE UNIVERSITY OF UTAH’S LIBRARY BY SHARING COPIES OF “THE ILLUMINATED DESERT” WITH KIDS.
- B SCHOOL WITH MARIE FORLEO CLASS OF 2016
- RHODE ISLAND SCHOOL OF DESIGN (RISD) — PROVIDENCE, RI 1998-2002. BFA WITH HONORS IN ILLUSTRATION
- RISD EUROPEAN HONORS PROGRAM — ROME, ITALY SEPTEMBER 2000-MAY 2001 (ACADEMIC STUDY ABROAD WITH 30 OTHER RISD STUDENTS IN THE HEART OF ROME., COURSEWORK: ITALIAN LANGUAGE, ART HISTORY AND INDEPENDENT-STUDY STUDIO WORK WITH CRITIQUES AND VISITING PROFESSORS.)
- REFERENCES AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST