“So when you are alert and contemplate a flower, crystal, or bird without naming it mentally, it becomes a window for you into the formless. There is an inner opening, however slight, into the realm of spirit…We are a species that has lost its way. Everything natural, every flower or tree, and every animal have important lessons to teach us if we would only stop, look, and listen…What could be more heavy and more impenetrable than a rock, the densest of all forms? And yet some rocks undergo a change in their molecular structure, turn into crystals, and so become transparent to the light. Some carbons, under inconceivable heat and pressure, turn into diamonds, and some heavy minerals into other precious stones…Can human beings lose the density of their conditioned mind structures and become like crystals or precious stones, so to speak, transparent to the light of consciousness?” --Eckhart Tolle
"Hedden communicates the language of light. She believes that light is the luminous self made manifest in this world. Zooming in close to a dense cluster of glittering refraction, or delicate transparency and shadow, Hedden renders these microcosms on large canvases with her muscular brush strokes. Her pieces are actual portraits of a particular mineral or flower at a precise moment in time."
As an artist, I look for the unseen patterns and hidden narratives that reveal the magnificence in all things. Robert Henri said, "Paint the spirit of the bird rather than its feathers." There is a still point in every moment and to capture this essential luminescence is to acknowledge the ancient wisdom in all things. I make use of archetypes from the cultural and mystical history that connects all humans and all life forms. Joseph Campbell said that artists are the shamans of our time. I believe that we have the ability as well as the obligation to find and share truth and offer direction to the greater community. It is with this inspiration that I delve into the riches of the collective unconscious and the imagery and symbolism of my dreams to draw out something bigger than myself to share with the world.
I was born and raised in Utah's wild red desert, but have had the great fortune to call many amazing places around the world my home. A graduate of the Rhode Island School of Design, I am as comfortable painting large oils as I am illustrating children’s books. In 2007, I won an International Creativity award in the category of commercial illustration for “The Peaceful Warrior.” My first children’s book, “The Illuminated Desert,” written by Terry Tempest Williams and published by the Canyonlands Natural History Association in 2008, won The Mountains and Plains Bookseller’s Award for Best Children’s Book.
CURRENT GALLERY REPRESENTATION:
- Walker Fine Art in Denver, Colorado
- Stella Ripley Contemporary in Montreal, Canada
- Gallery Vibe in Naples, Florida
EXHIBITIONS 2008 TO THE PRESENT:
- Walker Fine Art, “New Work,” November 9, Denver, CO — 2018
- SOFA Chicago, “15th Anniversary Show,” Maria Elena Kravetz Gallery (Cordoba, Argentia), November 1-4, Chicago, IL — 2018
- Gallery Vibe, “Season Premiere,” Naples, FL — 2018
- The Other Art Fair, November 9-12, Brooklyn, NY— 2017
- McNicol’s Building, “Tectonic Shift,” Denver, CO — 2017
- “Rubber Stamp Art Projects,” Red Dot, Miami, FL — Art Basel Week 2016
- Walker Fine Art, “Simplifying the Essentials,” Denver, CO — 2016
- Walker Fine Art, “Shades in Time,” Denver, CO — 2014
- Walker Fine Art, “Cross Pollinate,” Denver, CO — 2013
- The Mark Gallery, “Awakening,” Englewood, NJ — 2013
- Walker Fine Art “Introductions,” Denver, CO — 2012
- Meyer Gallery, “Introduction,” Park City, UT — 2010
- KOLB Studio, “Wild about Children’s Books: Wildlife Art for Kids”, Grand Canyon, AZ — 2008
- The Seedcorn Gallery, Group Show, Berkely, CA — 2008
- The Mina Dresden Gallery, RISD NOCAL Juried “One Night Stand” San Francisco, CA — 2007
- The Caldecott Gallery, Solo Show, Oakland, CA — 2007
HONORS / AWARDS / RESIDENCIES:
- Featured in Luxe Magazine Summer 2017 (Colorado Issue)
- Artwork Featured on the Cover of Luxe Interiors Magazine Fall 2016 (Colorado Issue)
- House and Garden Magazine Featured Artist in their 70th Anniversary Issue 2017
- Artist Showcase Featured Artist on ArtSlant 2016.
- Artist in Residence at the Summit Series Powder Mountain, September 2014
- Mountains and Plains Bookseller’s Award for Best Children’s Book of 2009 (The Illuminated Desert)
- International Creativity Award in the category of Commercial Illustration for “The Peaceful Warrior” 2007
- Former First Lady Laura Bush helped celebrate the renovation and rededication of the University of Utah’s library by sharing copies of “The Illuminated Desert” with kids.
- B School with Marie Forleo Class of 2016
- RISD European Honors Program —Rome, Italy 2000-2001
- Rhode Island School of Design (RISD)—Providence, RI (BFA with Honors in Illustration) 1998-2002
RELEVANT PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE:
- Creative Director at Fine Art Matters — Malibu, CA February 2012—March 2018: Fine Art Advisory based in Malibu celebrating its 25th anniversary. Specializing in the design of art for large multi-faceted projects ranging from high end residential to 5 star hotels, universities and corporate campuses. Responsibilities Include: Project Management, All phases of Job Production, Creative Director Curating Collections of Fine Art and Managing Relationships and Commissions Process with Artists, Social Media, Marketing, Website Design, Email Blasts, Sales.
- “The Illuminated Desert” - Children’s ABC book containing extensive, page-by-page illustrations, written by Terry Tempest Williams, published by the Canyonlands Natural History Association in 2008. Won the Mountains and Plains Bookseller’s Award for Best Children’s Book of 2009.
References available upon request...